Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Thursday, August 16, 2007

mid summer resolution

I have decided to train for a half marathon. I used to run three to four times a week but then I got lazy. Actually, I blame the laziness on the fact that I was dealing with too many life transitions all at once; I stopped running regularly around the same time I got married, relocated to New York and started an extremely frustrating job search.

Since I decided to train for the half marathon, (Note: I haven’t actually signed up or committed to an actual race yet, I am just enamored with the idea of how fit I’ll be after the fact) I have had the pleasure of downloading a whole bunch of oldies onto my ipod. Oh the memories! Madonna, Janet Jackson, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, Depeche Mode and more…it was like Christmas day at my very own record shop!

Of course now I also need (and this is a legitimate need) new running shoes. I spent a happy thirty minutes checking out the selection on Zappos, mostly focusing on whether or not the color combinations were pretty since the technical terms are way over my head still. Pronate? That sounds important, must get new shoes that deal with the pronate problem. But really, what can compare to the bliss that is running in a brand new pair of shoes? It’s like being Mario bouncing around on mushrooms and clouds.

Browsing the Runners World site informed me that real runners do not run in cotton—which is all I have been running in. Another new thing to buy: dry fit tanks with racer backs and matching shorts! Tech-Wick outfits that wick moisture away from the body! What a word, wick!

Runners World also told me all about the groceries I will be needing as a runner in training: all-natural peanut butter, whole grain breads, a variety of fruits and vegetables (carrots and celery just won’t cut it), and of course the Power Bars and similar nutrient-dense products. More shopping! At Whole Foods and Trader Joes!

Am I wrong to worry that I’m getting more fun out of buying things for my mid-summer resolution than actually carrying that resolution out? Do my rock-climbing, scrap-booking, amateur photographing friends feel the same way?

A mom I know flippantly confessed once that she would only consider having a second child because of all the stuff she could buy. For someone who is (here’s hoping) years away from having her own child, I have to say that visiting Babies ‘R Us recently put things in a bit of a different light. The quilted diaper bags! The ultra-soft lavender fleece pajamas! The blankets and ergo bottles and cribs and stylish car seats! I still don’t want a child, but all my married girlfriends should feel free. Ultra-soft lavender fleece pajamas for all!

On the other hand, while there is fun in buying new stuff I cannot ignore the confusion and the stress. The options I have as a consumer of athletic and fitness related goods are dizzying. All that choice can lead me to feel green (which ASICS Gel shoe is the best for my specific arch height and running style?!!), anxious (what if I’m not getting the absolute best deal on these ASICS Gel shoes?!!), and jealous (hey!! her ASICS and dry-fit racer back tank look so much better on her!!!).

Here’s an addendum to my mid-summer resolution: I resolve to not break a sweat over buying the ultimate best product at the rock-bottomest price, but to train hard because my body needs the exercise and just run and run because I have fun doing it.

3 Comments:

Blogger marieyi said...

haha wowza. did you know that alex is a serious runner?? you should get in touch with her. once upon a time i used to run x-country. That was when i was sixteen. now im just getting friendly with my roommate's bike and my new shiny helmet from Target, biking to prospect park and pissing off the neighbors by biking on the sidewalks.. i'm a horrible biker. but i just keep telling myself i need to get my money's worth for that $20 bright blue helmet. ahah! anyhow, best of luck!

11:22 PM  
Blogger DBush said...

You silly girl.

You can't make a resolution in the middle of the summer...That's just not allowed.


With all joking aside, Great for you! I hope you go through with it! (for the right reasons).

I wish I had such determination for anything really...

>:-/

7:42 AM  
Blogger jane said...

our hc almost decided to train for a half marathon together too. and surprisingly, c.tai came up with the idea! luckily it's near the end of august and there hasn't been word of this half marathon crazy idea for a couple months now. whew!

good luck training!

i have resolved (with some leeway in case of emergencies) not to buy any snowboarding equipment for this upcoming season. unless it's for this one particular deal on a helmet. i know it's going to be hard because that's half the fun of snowboarding, and i even have all these possible allotments in place...

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home