Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Saturday, July 15, 2006

playing small?

I still can't tell whether this quote below is mostly greeting card nonsense or real inspiration, (especially for those raised in the Asian "What?! You ONLY got 99.99% in Math, English and Physics?!" Camp).

Here it is, quoted by the likes of Mandela:

“'Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we subconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

-Marianne Williamson

Does it click for you? I actually think I do like it, but out of fear of what it implies, I am tempted to scoff at it as fluff!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marianne Williamson's quote doesn't entirely click with me. Maybe I missed something but why doees it sound to me like bordering on being conceited? Just cos you know that God made you great in some way doesn't mean you need to act big. On the other hand, I think it is wrong to be insincerely modest. But I don't think it's wrong to genuinely feel and act humble (which I am likening to being small)?

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home