Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

to see or not to see

It's hard to miss all the buzz in the media about the anti-God message of the story, the boycotts by churches, and the allegedly sinister motives of Philip Pullman, the author. I've received a few emails warning me about this soon to be released series already.

I got the books as a Christmas gift two years ago. but I only made it through the first, "The Golden Compass", so far.

Some questions that arise from all this seem to be: whether there's an "appropriate" Christian response, whether this hype can actually be seized upon as an opportunity for dialogue, and our responsibility to impressionable children.

I find it interesting how some friends of mine (including Christians) are huge fans, while others, will now probably never go near them. In my "research" for this post I found that some people out there argue that boycotts will only blow up in churches' faces--like the boycott of "The Da Vinci Code". Other people have said it's important to protect children whose faiths are developing, from a story about characters who want to kill 'god'. Others also say that rather than being so "reactive", churches should focus their energy turning people's attention to GOOD films.

My thoughts aren't that deep. I will probably see the movie. If I had children, I probably wouldn't forbid them from seeing it--out of a (possibly errant) desire to have them engage with culture in a thoughtful way. I do think that Christians consume boatloads of questionable material that just don't happen to garner the kind of sharp attention that "The Da Vinci Code" or "The Golden Compass" get. I think it could be argued that seemingly harmless or less blatantly anti-God movies are just as dangerous for us and for children. In fact, they've got the potential to do much more damage since we are happily lulled watching them for distraction and cheap thrills.

2 Comments:

Blogger wayfool said...

I think we (as in Americans) take our children's entertainment a little too seriously. The same line of reasoning makes the entire Harry Potter series satanic. What's next, boycotting Alladin because it promotes Jihad? These sorts of nationwide calls for boycotts could be construed as parents abdicating their personal engagement with their kids. I would rather take my kid to watch a movie and then have an open discussion about it rather than have someone else tell what I should or shouldn't be watching.

3:03 AM  
Blogger refresh_daemon said...

Christian media in general tends to by hyper-alarmist (in addition to racist, classist, sexist and other not-so-nice ists). That said, I think that if a child's faith is genuine, no amount of Golden Compass is going to change that. After all, without the important test of doubt, we have no means to validate our faith. Something like that.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home