Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

sex and the city

I saw it for the second time tonight in a PACKED Upper East Side theater (still!) of ooohing and ahhing, mostly female viewers accompanied by the occasional awkward looking man.

There's no need for me to add to the cacophony of reviews and blogs and debates out there tearing every minute detail of the movie to shreds. But I'd like to say this (minor, minor spoiler ahead):

I'd argue that it is for moments like the moment where Samantha spoons yogurt into Carrie's mouth that the series and this movie will live on and on and on.

I hear the scoffers: Psshhhh! It's the clothes, the bags, the shoes, the glorification of an upper-class Manhattan lifestyle and excessive drinking and sex...and, it's true, there is that. And there are definitely lines that make me cringe ("I love you, but I love me more.").

But I'd argue the core of why millions of women will go to see this, (even if it is problematic--hello, I hate what they did to Smith!), and why millions will continue to watch the DVDs and cleaned-up TV versions is because (even in it's fallen, worldly way) it shows that what we all want is unconditional love and friendship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home