Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

simple gifts

Air and Simple Gifts

Not that this very moving day is at all about me, but please imagine my delight when I heard the first hints of "Simple Gifts" being played by Anthony McGill on the clarinet at Obama's inauguration this morning.

It's just that I happened to walk down the aisle about 2.5 years ago to "Simple Gifts". Naturally, the piece lives in a special place in my heart.

While watching the ceremony from the Redeemer conference room among some watery-eyed colleagues, I could not help but feel something that could only be called pride, awe and yes, even hope.

My friend MR noted with wonder that a black family is sleeping in the White House tonight.

When I left the office, the Empire State building was lit up red, white and blue.

"When true simplicity is gained,
to bow and to bend we will not be ashamed,
to turn, turn will be our delight,
til by turning, turning we come round righ
t."
~Simple Gifts, Shaker "hymn"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home