Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Monday, April 20, 2009

in process

I know I’ve done it before.

Instead of really listening to my friend, I’ve tried to brush off concerns they’re sharing with a hurried and disingenuous,

“You’ll be fine! You’re so ____ and ____, I’m SURE things will go great!”

Which is exactly what I’m hearing a lot of these days when people ask about Tanzania and my genuine response is, “I’m scared.”

It’s especially frustrating when these things are said by friends who are good people, and well-intentioned--but have little overseas travel experience, let alone experience living in a developing country.

Thankfully, I can’t get in a superior huff over this because I have done it before. And on any given day, especially when I’m in a rush, or am feeling uncomfortable or not interested in engaging, I would certainly do it again.

As the time for us to leave draws closer, I’m realizing how ‘in process’ we are. In the process of counting the costs and saying goodbye to the mostly charmed life we've led in New York. So please, do not hold anything we may share or say to you during this time against us.

We go through days where we sound like total nutcases, “Maybe something BAD will happen and we won’t have to go to Africa!!” “$529,000 for a studio on Perry St? It’s a SIGN! We’re supposed to buy that place and stay here! FOREVER!”

We go through days where we act like there is no God at all--trying desperately to align all the stars and plan every possible detail out so we’ll feel in control and safe.

And in rare moments of clarity, I realize that while we’re in process--our friends and family will need much patience in dealing with us. To bear with us when we act like spoiled children and forget that there is a God in heaven--the mighty and merciful one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

wow. Thanks for your honesty Jen!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home