Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Challenge

A friend in Boston once shared something that really challenged the way I think about gift giving. She asked herself out loud, with me beside her, "Why am I spending money giving gifts to people I know are going to pay me back? Doesn't Jesus say something like, when you throw a dinner party, don't invite people who are going to be able to pay you back?"

So, what to do about this gift-giving time of year?

I'm most definitely not suggesting we give up entirely on gifts. I just picked up some new Nintendo Wii goodies for DH today--and I can't wait til he opens them.

But this week, we've been studying the book of Amos and I have really been struck by how God wants us to handle our wealth. Back in the prophet Amos' day, the Israelites were rolling in prosperity and security. That is, select groups were rolling, and these people hoarded it, cheated the poor and forced many into slavery. Disgusting. Sounds familiar.

The disturbing warning I got from all studies is that God holds not only those who cheated the poor to account, but also those who are indifferent.

So, wouldn't it be something if we diverted some of our gift-giving budget to those who can't pay us back this Christmas? Even just a part of it?

I've said this out loud now. I need you all to remind me.

1 Comments:

Blogger giz lau said...

wow, what a reminder - and too true, indeed. ..i'm just learning how to figure out all this money stuff, it's exhausting - but i guess it doesn't have to be

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home