Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Friday, October 24, 2008

idol I.D.

At work this week, I had to read a lot about idols. So I wanted to share. Please note: This is ALL stuff that my gifted and brilliant colleagues at Redeemer have developed--I'm only a messenger hoping to avoid breaking copyright laws by sharing snippets here only...

Let's start with a definition:

“An idol is something within creation that is inflated to function as a substitute for God...Idols are not just on pagan altars, but in the well-educated human hearts and minds...in the dynamics of human greed, lust, craving and coveting...” Richard Keyes

So why do we care about understanding idols anyway? IF we submit that our hearts will always be restless until they rest in Him THEN substitutes for God like a spouse, a fabulous home, or amazing career--will never, ever give us the fulfillment, comfort, pleasure and happiness we expect them to. Idols are a big problem.

Take a look at some examples: (these are definitely some of mine)

A) Helping Idol--“Life has meaning/I only have worth if – people are dependent on me and need me”

B) Work Idol--“Life has meaning/I only have worth if – I am highly productive and getting a lot done.”

C) Achievement Idol--“Life has meaning/I only have worth if – I am being recognized for my accomplishments, if I am excelling in my career.”

Then try and use some tools to figure out what some of our idols might be:

Emotions as Indicators
A. When you are anxious or fearful--Is it because there is something too important to you? Are you telling yourself you have to have something? Is something being threatened which you think is a necessity, but is not?

B. When you are angry—are you being blocked from having something you think is necessity?

Other Diagnostic Questions
A. What is my Greatest Nightmare? What do I worry about the most?

B. What do I rely on or comfort myself with when things go bad or get difficult?

C. What makes me feel the most self-worth?

Now What?

I won't get into the gospel cure or way to 'dismantle idols' here and now. For that, you'll have to wait for the full version to be published (or you might already have an earlier version if you're a Redeemer leader)...OR even BETTER...figure it out with some your peoples.

But a taste of it:

“The faith that is able to warm itself at the fire of God's love, instead of having to steal love and self-acceptance from other sources is actually the root of holiness.” ~Richard Lovelace

2 Comments:

Blogger gear-girl said...

wha'ts the name of the book??

1:59 PM  
Blogger Duncan and Jen said...

hi ahmee.

it won't be a book exactly, but possibly part of a set of training documents or something...I'll keep you posted!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home