Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Monday, November 03, 2008

pre-election musical musings

I've been an-out-of-control election news junkie the past few months. And as I watch both candidates' last-ditch efforts to become president I keep thinking of the appropriateness of Coldplay's Viva la Vida:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemies eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand...

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People could not believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries Wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?
~Coldplay, Viva la Vida

Who would ever want to be king?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I know I def wouldn't want to be king. And perhaps people who want to be king just because they lust for power shouldn't be king too. But I think it goes without saying we definitely NEED people who DO want to be good kings the way our world is set up. I am glad that there are those people who do exist, no matter how much we might complain about them! (and yes of course, there are unfortunately, many bad ones too...)

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home