Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Saturday, January 31, 2009

living in america


"Football combines the two worst features of America--violence interspersed with committee meetings." 

~George Will (quoted in First Things, "Gridiron Nation" by Jeffrey Marlett)

Fellow Canadians, I ask you: did we ever throw or attend any Stanley Cup Playoff Parties? Because I KNOW FOR SURE we never threw or attended any CFL parties. (CFL? Yes, my American friends, there is an actual Canadian Football League.)

Today I asked my brothers and dad whether they had any Superbowl Party plans.  They seemed almost offended by the question--Superbowl Party??!  What are you, American now? 

It's no secret: I'm in it entirely for the wings, ribs and company--and the ability to kinda participate in the post-game debriefs that will take up a good part of Monday morning. 

It's funny. I didn't expect this aspect of American culture to grow on me so much. 

2 Comments:

Blogger gear-girl said...

Really??? I've attended quite a few stanley cup playoff parties back when i was at UW studying. but never any superbowl parties. i hear ya though - it's like christmas or something. people prepare for this big day weeks ahead.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't get me wrong, I've always loved football and the superbowl, it's just this year I couldn't care less who wins. And fyi, only hardcore Canadians - meaning my light skinned brothers and those who don't have other pro-sports teams to cheer for have CFL parties. hahaha. CFL is whack....straight up. As for UW, well there's not much to do up in W besides eat sausage and study - hahahahhaa.

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home