Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

greener grass syndrome

Sleepy, I am so sleeeepy.
I might as well not post because I am just so sleepy...but here's the happs:

All you musical people out there (EH, BK...) should really consider writing some new Christmas carols, preferably in a minor key. There's a serious shortage.

I'm thinking about staying longer at Amnesty, but wish I knew if it was the right thing to do. Is it a case of the grass is always greener?

My last job was developing young leaders to make changes in their communities. Very local issues focused...how to improve guidance services, get cleaner bathrooms in schools, reinstate arts programs. Very HARD, totally unglamourous, often misunderstood work. And I was sometimes restless because I thought I wanted to focus more on international justice issues.

And Amnesty is just that: Darfur, Denounce Torture, Women's Human Rights...a global movement. Now that I have a taste of the international justice scene, I miss that neighborhood vibe, I miss the youth and their drama, and everyday, in-your-face contact with the people I was trying to work with and for.

How to balance? Paul Farmer says something about how constantly going back to Haiti keeps him grounded and effective in the international, infectious disease work he does. How to keep one's feet grounded in the local, while contributing to the massive global issues that cry out for attention?

Ok. Enough of that. Today my in-laws sent us a shipment of Omaha Steaks for Christmas. It came in a styrofoam cooler and everything, filet mignon, stuffed potatoes, chocolate cake. Parents are funny people.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steaks? In a styrofoam box?????.....that's so cool. Just like Entourage. I wish mom and dad would by me stuff like that and send it over....Happy Holidays and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

4:51 PM  
Blogger tiffany said...

those steaks *do* sound yummy...
btw, the coventry carol is one of my favourites just b/c it's in a minor key (which, i love, as we both know from countless piano lessons)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Duncan and Jen said...

yeah they're like vacuum packed with a recipe guide and instructions and everything. did i mention the stuffed potatoes?

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home