Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lent is upon us again

What I've heard so far, from friends who are choosing to observe:

-cigarettes
-fast food
-job hunting
-gum

And of course, the perennial favorite: desserts.

DH is giving up sports media, though playing sports and playing Wii sports is ok. Yes, this means no March Madness.
As for me, this is kinda kooky I know, but I'm giving up FASHION.

This means:
-NO obsessive poring over the super-sized March edition of Vogue and British Vogue
-no other fashion magazines, fashion blogs, fashion websites
-no purchasing of clothes or accessories
-no jumping immediately to the Thursday or Sunday Style sections of the NYT
-avoiding semi-envious once-overs of super-stylish folks around town

And I'm going to try very hard to rotate through a set of simple outfits.

Why am I doing this?

Our pastor TK says to detect your idols ask:

-what do you most easily spend money on? (Clothes, it's scary how I rationalize)
-what does your mind turn to when you're idle? (What to wear, when to wear it)
-what, if you had it taken away, would really be unbearably painful? (Not clothes or fashion *exactly*, but I worry quite a lot when I check in any suitcase filled with my favorite clothes at the airport)
-what kind of comments from people, make you feel inordinately gleeful or miserable? (I'm too thrilled by appreciation for what I'm wearing, and truth be told, a little too disappointed if no one says anything)

I think working near the garment district, living in Manhattan, and sheer vanity have led me to love pretty clothes a little too much. And I derive too much satisfaction from a well-dressed day. I know it's ridiculous and incongruous perhaps, for someone who professes to care about justice and poverty and orphans in Uganda. But there it is. We'll see what becomes of this.

3 Comments:

Blogger gear-girl said...

WHOA! I didn't know it required so much thought. No wonder you always look so nice! ;)

I decided to give up desserts - chocolate, ice cream, cookies, junk foods... all of it!! GONE~!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks so much for sharing Jen. I feel like my idol might be food but then again, I think about eating all the time because I am hungry all the time :)

I did not give up anything for lent, but have been challenged by your entry to think about what I might be putting before Christ. Thanks.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up Google Reader for Lent. Which is odd, but it was really becoming an obsessive time waster for me. So, now, here I am, in person, on your blog, leaving a comment! See? Isn't that better? At least I'm engaging while wasting time... :)

Not to say your blog is a waste of my time... uh... I think I better quit while I'm ahead...

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home