Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

This film is a disturbing expose on the evils of corporations.

Some of the most horrifying claims made by filmakers include:

-IBM knowingly supplied technology to Nazis so that data on millions of Holocaust victims could be managed efficiently

-CocaCola created Fanta so it could keep selling soda to Germany during the war

-Monsanto pushed seeds with a "suicide gene" to farmers in India so that seeds could not be saved for future use

-Monsanto has also aggressively pushed drugs to boost milk production resulting in painful sickness for the cows and possibly contaminated milk for people

-Interactive Media conducts full-scale surveys on how and when kids succeed at nagging their parents to buy them stuff etc., so they can manipulate children to nag parents even MORE

It'd be so helpful to get reactions to this film from the few (probably like, one or two) corporate-ish friends that I have. I'm guessing that most other people I know would be as disgusted as I was initially. My perspective is pretty biased and narrow since I have never worked for a corporation (except the Gap for a few weeks) and am prone to consider them evil anyway.

More about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corporation

2 Comments:

Blogger soygreentlatte said...

Since I consider myself one of your "corporate-ish" friends, I feel the need to comment on this!

Yes, there are many evil & unethical corporations out there unfortunately. One of the reasons why I am VERY selective about the corporations that I do work for.

I can't say anything to back up the companies you mentioned however I can say that there are some good ones out there such as Rogers :) and Johnson & Johnson.

Rogers gave its employees free calls and text messages to Lebanon, Israel, Cyprus and Turkey for the month of August to connect with family and loved ones going through the tragic situations in those areas.

Johnson & Johnson chose to recall ALL Tylenol products in 1986 when some some pills in one state was tampered with that resulted in human deaths. Check out the story here: http://www.mallenbaker.net/csr/CSRfiles/crisis02.html

So, they're not all bad and hopefully, through our own consumer actions, we can show our support for the "good" corporations and boycott the "bad" ones (like Wal-mart in my opinion!)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Duncan and Jen said...

Thanks for your two cents ms. kb!!! corporate America/Canada needs you!! Have you seen the movie?? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!!

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home