Name:
Location: NYC, United States

Thursday, February 22, 2007

40 Days

I was pretty surprised at how many ashy foreheads I saw on the streets yesterday, marking the start of the Lenten season.

Over the years, I've attempted to "give up" a bunch of things; some were really self-serving rather than Jesus-focused like desserts and non-essential email checking and non-essential personal spending.

In my U of T days, a friend and I tried to give up on complaining. It made us realize how many of our waking hours were devoted to complaining, how complaining was the basis for a majority of conversations. Another year, I tried to give up making sarcastic remarks. It helped stamp out that habit, for awhile.

In Shanghai, a friend of mine who was preparing for a marathon right after Lent gave up eating meat! I felt really sorry for him. Other friends in Shanghai that year gave up video games, tv, and the purchasing of pirated DVDs.

Last year in Boston, I encouraged the youth I was working with to consider observing Lent. They came up with some good stuff: the Kool-aid obsessed Jessica gave up Kool-aid. She sent me a text message at the crack of Easter Sunday dawn, celebrating her first sip after 40 days. Corina decided to try and "treat each person like they were king", and T gave up cursing. Some CCFC'ers last year gave up drinking any water that was not tap water in solidarity with the millions without clean drinking water. Yeah, that was something.

I haven't decided what to do this year yet. But I know I've been blessed and challenged by observing Lent over the years. Hope that all you people out there will consider giving something up too.

4 Comments:

Blogger gear-girl said...

Last year, I gave up chocolate. It made me realize how much I relied on chocolate to pick me up when I was down - it made me draw closer to God when i didn't have chocolate to turn to anymore. i thought it was really odd that i should turn to something inanimate for comfort - kinda sad eh? i'll let you know what i give up this year...

3:32 PM  
Blogger jane said...

i could never ever give up complaining. no sirree. or bitter sarcastic remarks.

have fun on your honeymoon! hope you enjoy stress-less time together without too many immigration officers breathing down your back...

3:18 PM  
Blogger Duncan and Jen said...

Ms. Choi: how bout sugar and fats then? hehe.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was suppose to give up blogs for lent - oh well... :)

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home